Butler men’s soccer moves to 9-5-1 after a loss to Creighton and a win over St. John’s

Butler first-year midfielder Joost de Schutter dribbles the ball in the team’s Sept. 14 loss to Indiana. Photo by Claire Runkel.

JAKE KAUFMAN | SPORTS REPORTER | jfkaufman@butler.edu

The Butler men’s soccer team lost at Creighton 4-2 in their first Big East action of the week on Oct. 19. The Bulldogs were able to end their two game losing streak with a 2-1 win over St. John’s on Saturday night. 

The Bulldogs struck first against Creighton, with Butler first-year midfielder Joost de Schutter converting on a penalty kick in the 10th minute giving Butler a 1-0 lead. 

In the 37th minute, after a clearing attempt by Butler fifth-year goalkeeper Gabriel Gjergji stayed in bounds, Creighton midfielder Jason Castro fired a shot from near midfield that just got past a scrambling Gjergji and into the back of the net, tying the score at 1-1. 

The pace again slowed to start the second half, with neither team recording a shot until Butler redshirt sophomore defenseman DJ Hooks’ attempt in the 57th minute.

That would change less than a minute later, as Castro sent a pass up ahead to teammate Charles Auguste who volleyed a ball to Owen O’Malley. O’Malley carried the ball into the box and fired a shot past Gjergji giving Creighton a 2-1 lead. 

In the 65th minute, first-year forward Palmer Ault dribbled the ball while being chased by four Creighton defenders before dropping the ball to redshirt senior midfielder Jack Streberger behind him. Streberger collected the pass and delivered it into the back of the net, tying the game at 2-2. 

Following the Streberger goal, the teams would again go almost 15 minutes without a shot on goal by either side. 

In the 79th minute, with an assist from O’Malley and Castro, Creighton’s Duncan McGuire was able to get a shot past Gjergi, giving the Blue Jays a 3-2 lead. 

In the 88th minute, Auguste put the match away with Creighton’s fourth goal of the night.

The Bulldogs returned to the Bud and Jackie Sellick Bowl on Saturday night and were able to beat St. John’s 2-1.

The Red Storm got the scoring started early. In the third minute, St. John’s midfielder Antek Sienkiel dribbled into the box and was fouled by Butler fifth-year goalkeeper Gabriel Gjergji. Sienkiel converted the penalty shot, giving St. John’s an early 1-0 lead.

On the ensuing kickoff, Butler fifth-year midfielder Rico Hollenkamp split two St. John’s defenders and drew the attention of St. John’s goalkeeper Zenden Hart before passing it off to redshirt senior midfielder Jack Streberger. Streberger took the pass and delivered it into the empty net, tying the game 1-1 just 19 seconds after Sienkiel’s goal. 

Butler controlled possession after tying the match, outshooting St. John’s 4-1 over the next 33 minutes.

In the 37th minute, Hart made a save on a Tommy Visser shot and attempted a pass to teammate Connor Mucchetti. Butler senior forward Hemi Nasser intercepted the pass and sent it up ahead to first-year forward Palmer Ault. Ault dribbled into the box and found an open Streberger, who punched it in for his second goal of the night, giving Butler a 2-1 lead. 

St. John’s outshot Butler 9-3 in the second half but were not able to get anything past Gjergji and Butler’s 2-1 held true for the rest of the match. 

Streberger’s goals were his fifth and sixth tallies of the season and he now has eight for his career. This is the first multi-goal game of his career. 

Hollenkamp’s assist was his fifth of the season and the sixth of his career. 

The Bulldogs improve to 9-5-1 on the season and 4-3-1 in Big East play after the win against the Red Storm. After Saturday night’s games they are tied for 3rd place with Xavier in the Big East standings. 

The Bulldogs will continue their Big East schedule with a road matchup against Seton Hall on Saturday, Oct. 29.