Butler football falls at Stetson 30-27

Members of the Butler football team gather with a coach during the team’s 17-14 loss to Taylor on Sept. 14. The Bulldogs are now 1-4 on the season following a loss at Stetson. Chandler Hart / Collegian file photo.

DEVIN ABELL | STAFF REPORTER | dabell@butler.edu

The Butler football team fell short as time expired against the Stetson Hatters, 30-27, in DeLand, Florida, on Oct. 5. The Bulldogs fell to 1-4 while the Hatters improved to 4-1 on the season. 

Both teams took off in the first quarter almost matching each other step-by-step in an early offensive frenzy.

The Bulldogs struck first with a momentus 95-yard drive ending with a 16-yard touchdown pass by Sam Brown to Stephen Dennis giving them a 7-0 lead.

It was then followed by a quick score from the Hatters with a 31-yard rushing touchdown by Jareem Westcott tying the game at seven all.

The Bulldogs responded with a 30-yard field goal by Drew Bevelhimer. The Hatters then went on to regain the lead with Gaven DeFilippo throwing a 17-yard touchdown pass to Steven Burdette.

At the beginning of the second quarter Nick Orlando had a 62-yard touchdown run to return the lead to the Bulldogs. 

That would be the last score of the first half as defenses began to take charge. Michael Wellman forced an interception for the Bulldogs midway through the quarter. The Hatters followed that up with two interceptions of their own by Jalon Scott and Reggie Gantt.

The third quarter remained quiet for the offenses as the only score came by way of a 20-yard field goal by Jonny Messina for the Hatters, tying the game at 17-17.

Butler’s defense was able to snag three interceptions in the second half. Beau Snuggs would manage two of the takeaways while Luke Sennett would get the other one. 

The Bulldogs, however, would only earn a 27-yard field goal by Drew Bevelhimer at the start of the fourth quarter, giving them a 20-17 advantage.

Following the Bulldogs’ field goal both teams returned to their scoring ways.

Stetson returned the favor with a 17-yard field goal by Jonny Messina leveling the score at 20-20.

Both teams would exchange touchdowns with a 6-yard touchdown pass by Sam Brown to Johnny O’Shea for the Bulldogs and a 21-yard passing touchdown by DeFilippo to Justin Jordan, tying the game at 27-27 with 3:02 remaining in the game.

The Bulldogs would fail to muster a drive, resulting in them punting the ball away with 1:38 left to play.

The Hatters managed a successful two-minute drill as they were able to take the ball down the field and set up a 27-yard game winning field goal Jonny Messina as time expired to end the game.

The Bulldogs’ loss extended their current losing streak to three straight games.

Butler will have a chance to end its skid as the team will take on the Drake University Bulldogs at the Sellick Bowl on Oct. 12.