Butler women’s basketball falls to DePaul at home

Kristen Spolyar goes up for a shot during a game this season. Spolyar posted a team-high 22 points against DePaul. Jimmy Lafakis/Collegian file photo. 

ANDREW FAVAKEH | STAFF REPORTER | dfavakeh@butler.edu

The Butler women’s basketball team won the first quarter by ten points and led by 11 heading into the ten minutes of play, but ended up falling to DePaul at home 86-78 on Jan. 25. The Bulldogs fell to 6-2 in conference play and 16-3 overall, while the Blue Demons improved to 5-3 in the Big East and 14-6 for the season.

First in the Big East at 3-pointers attempted by a wide margin (nearly 200), DePaul was 16-of-32 on triples tonight. Not to mention, Chante Stonewall hit three straight-triples to seal the game. Butler’s game plan was to stop their 3-point attack. It was easier said than done.

“They wanted to trade threes for twos,” senior guard Kristen Spolyar said. “We needed to make them drivers and tonight we weren’t just close enough.”

Aside from three-point shooting, DePaul deployed an aggressive press which caused 21 Butler turnovers.

“We just need to keep our composure a little bit better,” Spolyar said. “They were long and lengthy. We need to know that we’re going to break the press and there’s nothing we can’t handle.”

Spolyar ended the game with a team-high 22 points. Tori Schickel garnered 10 rebounds and scored 15 points. Katherine Strong had 14 points, while Whitney Jennings dished out six assists and scored 11 points.

Butler will look to get back in the win column on Sunday, Jan. 27, against conference-leading Marquette. Tipoff is slated for 2 p.m. at Hinkle Fieldhouse.