Butler women’s golf opens season at Redbird Invitational

Lauren Tibbets putts the ball during the Butler Fall Invitational last season. Tibbets led the Bulldogs with a total score of 236. Collegian file photo.

ASHLEY FULBRIGHT | STAFF REPORTER | afulbrig@butler.edu

The Butler University women’s golf team finished 12th out of 14 teams at the Redbird Invitational to start their 2018-19 season. Weibring Golf Club in Normal, Illinois, hosted the tournament.

The Bulldogs were led by senior Lauren Tibbets, who finished in a tie for 34th with a total of 236 (+20) after 54 holes.

Butler’s total of 314 on Monday beat the first two rounds from Sunday. The Bulldogs finished the invitational with a team total of 957.

In the first round on Sunday, Tibbets found her best score of three-over 75. Her second two rounds had consistent scores of 80 and 81.

Butler’s second finisher, sophomore Katelyn Le, finished in a tie for 43rd. Le shot a 239 (+23) with rounds of 79, 80 and 80.

The team’s best round came from sophomore Ally Ross, with 73 (+1) in the final round. Ross’s final round featured a two-under performance on the par-5’s, the best among the field of 84 golfers.

Betsy Werner and Megan Skoog tied for 70th at 248 (+32). In her first event, freshman Claire Edwards tied for 41st with a total of 238 (+22).

Northern Illinois won the event by 17 strokes with a score of 882 (+18).

The next tournament for the Bulldogs is the Butler Fall Invitational Oct. 1-2 at Highland Golf Club in Indianapolis.