Butler men’s soccer draws with No. 4 Akron in season opener

Louie Bulger passes the ball to a teammate. Bulger scored Butler’s first goal against Akron. Collegian file photo/Jimmy Lafakis. 

JOSH MULLENIX | STAFF REPORTER | jmulleni@butler.edu

The Butler men’s soccer team began their season with a 2-2 draw at No. 4 University of Akron in Akron, Ohio.

The first half was a back and forth affair that saw Butler plagued by defensive mistakes. Freshman defender Louie Bulger found the back of the net on a free kick in the 13th minute to get his first goal in a Butler uniform.

The Zips answered back just 12 minutes later as David Egbo scored his first of two first half goals. The pressure was on the Butler defense in the first half as Akron put four shots on goal.

The last 10 minutes of the half were a mess for the Butler back line. A couple fouls and one yellow card gave Akron two penalty kicks. Freshman goalkeeper Gabriel Gjergji was able to stop the first one but failed to stop the second from finding the back of the net.

The only goal of the second half came in the 60th minute when junior forward Brandon Guhl scored to tie the game. Guhl led the team with 13 goals last year and was picked as the preseason Big East Offensive Player of the Year.

Late in the second half, the Zips found multiple opportunities on Butler’s side of the field but couldn’t capitalize on their chances. Overtime saw more of the same as both teams held off pressure from the opposition.

The Zips dominated the shot category with nine more shots than the Bulldogs but only put one more shot on frame.

Butler will be back in action for their home opener against Drake University at the Sellick Bowl on Aug. 27 at 6 p.m.