Women’s Volleyball Falls to Xavier

JIMMY LAFAKIS | STAFF REPORTER

A double-double from Anna Logan was not enough on Saturday, as the Butler women’s volleyball team fell to the Xavier Musketeers in three sets. Logan, who finished with 10 kills, 10 digs and five blocks, also posted the highest attack percentage (.364) of any Bulldog.

The final scores of the match were 18-25, 19-25, 20-25. The Bulldogs fell to 5-12 (2-3 BIG EAST) and Xavier improved to 8-7 overall (4-1 BIG EAST). Head Coach Sharon Clark stressed the importance of playing cleaner volleyball.

“We can’t have nine reception errors,” Clark said. “That really changed the whole match for us, when we started struggling on serve-receive. We’ve got to get in the gym this week, knock that out and get back to passing well.”

Freshman Makaila Jarema made defense a point of emphasis this season. Her work paid off on Saturday, as she garnered all six of the Bulldogs’ blocks.

“I am trying to focus on blocking and pressing my hands,” Jarema said. “Throughout the season, [we] have learned to practice pulling the block and reading setters’ tendencies.”

Clark recognizes that a tough road Big East stretch is approaching and is planning accordingly. The ‘Dawgs will face conference foes in the Seton Hall Pirates on Friday, Oct. 9 and the Villanova Wildcats on Saturday, Oct. 10.

“We will be up for it,” Clark said. “We will be ready to get after it when we leave on Thursday, but we’ve got some work to do. There’s nothing that we need to do more than get back in the gym, work and push ourselves harder.”

Saturday brought a tough loss to an arch-rival, but Jarema remains optimistic going forward.

“I’m really looking forward to the rest of this season,” Jarema said. “We have great talent on this team, and we can’t wait to see how it plays out.”