Butler falls to Villanova in five sets

JIMMY LAFAKIS | STAFF REPORTER

Despite Butler sophomore Makayla Ferguson recording 31 assists, 14 digs, three blocks and six kills, Butler fell to Villanova in five sets Saturday night.

The tide of the match shifted multiple times. The final scores of the sets were 19-25, 25-23, 25-23, 15-25, 9-15. The loss moved Butler to 5-14 (2-5 Big East), while the Wildcats improved to 16-4 (6-1 Big East.)

“We played such a great, strategic game tonight,” Head Coach Sharon Clark said. “We didn’t come away with the win, but our performance was a big success.”

Ferguson set up freshman Anna Logan for 15 kills and senior Mary Streidl for a team-high 16. Logan barely missed a double-double with nine digs, but Streidl achieved the feat with 10 digs. Freshmen Briana Lilly and Makaila Jarema teamed up to post nine blocks.

“We started playing really aggressively, and got our offense and defense in sync,” Lilly said. “We played one of the best matches all season, and things can only get better from here.”

After a three-set loss to the Seton Hall Pirates on Friday night, the Bulldogs were pleased to have bounced back in a big way on Saturday.

“At times throughout the match, we dominated one of the top teams in the conference,” Clark said. “It was a great match, and I’m proud of our effort.”

Butler will welcome the Creighton Bluejays to Hinkle Fieldhouse on Friday, Oct. 16 at 6 p.m. Creighton currently holds a flawless 6-0 record in BIG EAST action. The Bulldogs know they can contend with the best, and they have circled their next match against Villanova on Friday, Nov. 6 on the calendar.

“Next time we see them, it will be another battle for the win,” Lilly said.