Men’s soccer faces biggest test yet

GRAYSON PRATHER | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler men’s soccer team will compete against Xavier University on Friday in what could potentially be the most crucial game of the season.

Butler currently sits sixth in the Big East standings, one point ahead of Marquette University. The Bulldogs got three points over the weekend with a win over No. 11 Providence.

Butler needs to maintain it’s hold on the sixth spot in order to make the conference tournament.

Goalkeeper Eric Dick was named Big East Goalkeeper of the week last week. He now has six shutouts on the season.

Goalkeeper Eric Dick was named Big East Goalkeeper of the week last week. He now has six shutouts on the season. Photo by Erin Marsh

Senior captain Zach Steinberger said he understands the importance of Butler’s game against Xavier.

“It is a cross-town rival for us,” he said. “They are going to have a huge lump in their throat. But, again, it is the same story. They are one game away from winning the Big East, and we are one game away from not making the tournament, so it is deja vu. But we have the same mentality: win or go home. 

“It is the end of the season if we don’t win, he said. “There is no tomorrow for us.”

Forward David Goldsmith passes the ball during Butler's upset over #11 Providence.

Forward David Goldsmith passes the ball during Butler’s upset over #11 Providence. Photo by Erin Marsh

Butler head coach Paul Snape said he knows his team will face a tough test against the Musketeers. Last year, the Bulldogs defeated Xavier 2-1 in regular season and knocked Xavier out of the Big East tournament in the first round with a 1-0 shutout.

“Xavier is one of the top teams in the country right now,” Snape said. “We are going to focus on what we’ve got. We respect them immensely and, last year, we had two very close games and the result went our way.”