Bulldogs finish week without loss

GRAYSON PRATHER/STAFF REPORTER

Butler men’s soccer team had a successful week in conference play, coming away with a win, a tie, and a chance to play in the conference tournament.

The Bulldogs faced off against Providence Sunday afternoon at the Butler Bowl.

They were able to pull off their sixth win of the season against Providence, who is now the second ranked team in the Big East.

Butler sophomore David Goldsmith put the first mark on the scoreboard with an unassisted goal in the 28th minute of the first half.

Vincent Mitchell added to Butler’s lead with 37 minutes left in the second half with an assist from Jeff Adkins.

Senior Zach Steinberger said he knew that this game was crucial and essential for reaching the Big East tournament.

“If we didn’t win this game, that was the end of our season,” Steinberger said. “We said one thing to each other; ‘win or go home’, and we went in with that mentality and we delivered.”

Butler head coach Paul Snape said his team played very well and said he was pleased with their performance.

“Great win against a very great team,” Snape said, “They’re a very hard team to play against because they’re physical, they’re very well-coached, and they’ve got technical ability and skill. I thought the commitment and the execution from these guys (Butler) today was the best we’ve played all season. They really wanted it today.”

Earlier in the week, Butler played to a scoreless draw with Seton Hall. Butler had three shots on goal while the Pirates had six.

Snape said the result was not due to a lack of effort.

“We had our chances to score,” he said. “They boys played a good, honest game and an honest effort as well. I say we played well, we just couldn’t score a goal.”

The Bulldogs will face Xavier on the road Friday night in the final game of the regular season.