Bulldogs tee off at invite

KELLY MURPHY | STAFF REPORTER

This Monday and Tuesday, the Butler men’s golf team will host the Butler Fall Invitational.

The Butler women’s golf team will also compete at the Invitational.

Last year, the women’s team finished third in the competition, 14 points behind winner Bradley University and nine points behind second-place University of Evansville.

Andrew Eiler was the top-finishing Bulldog at last year’s tournament, placing ninth individually.

Eiler, a senior this year, said he is prepared to compete in his last Butler Invitational.

“We all feel very comfortable at Highland (Country Club) and are very confident we will perform well,” Eiler said.

The team is looking to place at the top of this year’s invite.

Last weekend at the Cleveland State Invitational, junior Brigham Stewart was at the top for the Bulldogs after day one and was tied for third overall.

“(I am) feeling good and ready to play on our home turf,” Stewart said. “This year’s tournament will be much more competitive because of our ability to go low as a team.”

Four teams will compete against Butler in this invitational– Bradley University, Eastern Illinois University, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis and University of Evansville.

The team also shared some pre-tournament traditions they have to get pumped up for this tournament.

“Our pre-round tradition is to go to Subway and get a filling meal, a tradition unlike any other,” Stewart said.

Eiler also shared one of the team’s pre-round traditions. “As a tradition we like to watch ‘Tin Cup’ and throw as many fist pumps as possible.”

Returning competitors for Butler are senior Logan Holt and sophomore Connor Dudley, who tied for 20th in 2013, sophomore Iain Ferlmann who came in 36th, as well as Stewart and sophomore Joey Arcuri,  who both played as non-scoring golfers last year.