Bulldogs bounce back and shut out Seton Hall

BOBBY JOHNSON | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler women’s soccer team shut out Seton Hall 3-0 at the Butler Bowl on Sunday to even their record in Big East Conference play at 1-1.

The team’s five-game winning streak was snapped after a close loss to Villanova at the Butler Bowl on Friday to open conference play. The team went scoreless against Villanova, but were able to find early offense from Sophia Maccagnone who scored off of an assist from Annie Weber at the 18:04 mark.

“Putting that goal in really boosted our confidence in the game,” Maccagnone said. “We came together, played well, and stayed focused.”

The team continued to surge after halftime as Kelly Mahoney blasted a pass from Stephanie Kaylor past the keeper at the 49:44 mark to put the Bulldogs up 2-0. Mahoney found pleasure in the fact that the team was able to recover so well on a day that she said has proven to be tough for them to play on.

“Coming off a loss on Friday we definitely showed that we can stick with it, play our game, and not let that get us down,” Mahoney said. “It’s a tough day on Sunday, but we all just worked hard and didn’t give up even when we were up.”

Hannah Farley then capped off the win with a goal off of an assist from Maccagnone at the 80:52 mark.

Even though the team could not manage to find the back of the net on Friday, Senior forward Elise Kotsakis knew scoring was just a matter of capitalizing on opportunities.

“We focused on finishing and we have always been creating the chances, but (it was) just (about) putting those in the back of the net,” Kotsakis said.

Kotsakis acknowledged that the team’s defense was on display all weekend long only allowing one goal, but they needed to generate some offense.

“We only gave up two shots on goal on the weekend between both games so we just knew we had to put our chances in the back of the net.”