Butler recruits shine in Indiana-Kentucky All-Star Game

By Matthew VanTryon | Sports Editor

Three 2014 Butler recruits–Jackson Davis, Kelan Martin and Tyler Wideman–participated in the Indiana-Kentucky All-Star game at Bankers Life Fieldhouse last night  and gave Butler fans a chance to see what the next four years may have in store.

Davis was limited in playing time, getting into foul trouble early. Still, he finished with six points and nine rebounds in 16 minutes on the floor. At 6-foot-8-inch and 220 pounds, Davis can provide a solid interior presence the Bulldogs lacked for much of last season. With a few years of development and tutelage from his coaches and teammates, Davis could develop into something special in the future.

Martin played an all-around solid game. The 6-foot-6-inch forward scored 13 points and grabbed six rebounds, along with dishing out two assists. Time will tell what Martin will bring to Butler’s team. His high school statistics show evident talent, but not in any specific aspect of his game in particular. Martin shot 36 percent from the arc during his senior season and 52 percent overall, good for 23 points per game. He grabbed nearly nine rebounds per game and had nearly three steals per game. Throughout his high school career and in the game Saturday night, Martin had a hand in many things–diving on the floor for loose balls and hustling back on defense. Regardless of what role Martin plays not only this year but in the years to come, he should be able to produce.

Tyler Wideman had the most impressive showing of the trio. Wideman posted a double-double, scoring 15 points on 6-of-8 shooting from the floor while grabbing a game-high 18 rebounds. Like Davis, he should be able to provide an interior presence the Bulldogs largely lacked last season. His 240-pound frame should put him in a good position to score and grab rebounds, as seen in Saturday night’s game.

Perhaps the most telling play of the game for Wideman came in the first half, as he blocked a shot on one end of the floor before hustling back and scoring a layup on the other end. His size, hustle and pure talent should make him a prime piece of the program’s future.

Check out an exclusive interview with Wideman below, where he discusses finishing up his high school career, what he can contribute towards this year’s squad and what his goals are for the upcoming season.