Softball Recap

MARKO TOMICH | Contributing Reporter

Butler softball is springing into success, winning four of its last five contests.

Butler (21-24, 7-7) dropped the first of three games against Georgetown before bouncing back, winning the last two in the conference series. Butler has been best on the road, racking up a 10-8 record away from campus.

The first contest went nine innings before the Hoyas snuck out with a 6-5 victory. During the Bulldogs’ bounce-back win, junior Maria Leichty’s big bat was the difference. Lecihty hit a game-sealing homerun in the seventh inning, putting Butler ahead 4-2.

In the series finale, a combined pitching effort by Butler’s Callie Dennison and Kristin Gutierrez shut out Georgetown. The pair gave up five hits, helping lead the Dawgs to a 2-0 victory.

Just three Butler batters recorded hits in the final game, combining for just five hits.

Butler’s momentum grew off their back-to-back conference wins when they took on Eastern Illinois for a two game stint Tuesday.

The Bulldogs squeezed out a single run in the first game, but that was all they need to take the contest 1-0. It was Butler’s third shutout in the month of April.

The night game of the doubleheader saw more offense but the Bulldogs won again, this time by a single run in a 6-5 victory.

Junior Kristen Boros drove in three RBIs on two hits in the contest. Butler out hit Eastern Illinois 13-6 in the matchup.

Falling to an early 3-2 deficit the Bulldogs battled back, scoring four runs in the final four innings. Eastern Illinois did not go quietly, making it a one-run game heading to the final inning but could not complete the comeback.

Butler takes on conference foe Seton Hall for a three game series this weekend. The Bulldogs are just one game back of the Pirates in conference play.

Seton Hall has struggled this season with a 14-29 record, but seem to be comfortable in Big East Conference play with an 8-7 record in conference.

Butler will end its season with five games at home taking on Miami (Ohio) and finishing up against DePaul University in the month of May.