Men’s basketball snaps seven-game skid, routs DePaul

BY MATTHEW VANTRYON | ASST. SPORTS EDITOR

The Butler men’s basketball team (13-16, 3-14) traveled to DePaul (11-20, 3-15) Thursday night looking to break a seven-game slide. An offensive onslaught led to a 79-46 win and spoiled DePaul’s senior night.

Junior guard Alex Barlow scored a career-high 19 points to lead the rout.

Butler dominated from the start, jumping out to an early 15-2 lead behind a balanced scoring attack.

Barlow paced the Bulldogs, scoring 13 points in the half on 5-of-6 shooting from the field. Barlow hit all three of his attempts from behind the arc in the opening period, including a buzzer-beater in the final moments of the first half to extend Butler’s lead.

Butler took a 38-18 lead into the half.

Butler continued its dominance to begin the second half, starting on a 10-0 run while shooting 6-of-7 from the floor to widen its lead. They would coast to victory.

Eleven Bulldogs scored points in the contest.

Butler outrebounded the host Blue Demons 46-29, including 16-6 on the offensive glass. Sophomore guard Kellen Dunham grabbed a career-high nine boards in the contest.

Butler shot 46 percent in the contest while holding DePaul to a season-low scoring output. The home team shot 33 percent from the floor.

Senior Brandon Young scored a game-high 24 points for DePaul, but no other Blue Demon scored more than four points.

Butler will have a quick turnaround, hosting Seton Hall Saturday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. on senior day. The contest will be Butler’s regular season finale.