Bulldogs prepare for tournament

BRENDAN KING | Staff Reporter IMG_8859

The Butler women’s basketball team won a key game on the road against Creighton Tuesday night by a score of 67-59 to gain momentum going into the Big East Tournament starting on Saturday.

Senior forward Daress McClung led the way for Bulldogs in the offensive department as she scored 20 points to help the Bulldogs win the game.

McClung made 50 percent of her shots in the game. She also pulled down seven rebounds.

Fellow senior forward Mandy McDivitt scored 13 points in the game, 12 of which came from 3-pointers. McDivitt’s 3-point shot was hot for the Bulldogs this game. She also shot  50 percent from the field in the game, and  added five rebounds and three assists.

Late free-throw shooting was key for the Bulldogs.  The game was close all the way up until the final moments.

McClung was 6-for-6 from the free-throw line. Junior guard Taylor Schippers shot 4-for-4 from the line and also sank two 3-pointers in the game.

Creighton out-rebounded the Bulldogs 40-29. However, from those 40 rebounds, the Blue Jays (18-12, 12-6) only managed to score seven second chance points.

Creighton sophomore guard Marissa Janning carried the Blue Jays on the offensive side of the ball.She scored 20 points and also had six assists and five rebounds.

In the previous meeting between these two teams at Hinkle Fieldhouse, Janning’s 3-point shooting gave the Bulldogs trouble.

Janning sank two early 3-pointers in the first quarter but only managed to tally one more for the rest of the game.

Butler coach Beth Couture’s defensive strategy was able to stop the Blue Jays from the 3-point line which helped them get to the win.

These two teams will have to get used to seeing each other however, as Butler will play Creighton one more time in the Big East Tournament.

The Bulldogs will face off against Creighton after their first-round bye, which was earned after the win against Seton Hall.

Butler is 2-0 against Creighton so far this year and has done it through 3-point shooting, good rebounding, and a solid defensive game.

Butler wrapped up its first regular season in the Big East Conference with a 15-14 overall reacord and 10-8 mark in conference.

Butler will travel to Rosemont, Ill. for the Big East Conference Tournament.

Butler’s first game is this Sunday against Creighton. Tip-off is set for 2:30 p.m. Should the Bulldogs advance to the semi-finals, fans can watch the game on Fox Sports 1.