Women’s basketball: Butler back at .500 in Big East with victory

BY BRENDAN KING | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler women’s basketball team (12-13, 7-7) defeated the Georgetown Hoyas (8-18, 2-12) 67-59 at Hinkle Fieldhouse on Saturday.

The game was part of Breast Cancer Awareness Day at Hinkle, showing support for the fight against a disease that formerly affected Butler coach Beth Couture.

Senior forward Daress McClung scored a team-high 20 points in the win.

McClung was inserted into the starting lineup for the first time since returning from injury. Sophomore guard Lexus Murry filled in for her during her injury, although Murry remained in the starting lineup in this game. Junior guard Taylor Schippers came off the bench Saturday.

The Bulldogs were efficient from the free throw line in the contest, which proved to be a key factor. The team hit 19 of 23 attempts, with Murry and Schippers combining for 10.

Junior center Liz Stratman led the team in rebounds with 11. Stratman played 27 minutes and also scored 13 points.

Georgetown senior forward Andrea White led her team in scoring with 18 points in 31 minutes of action, adding nine rebounds. Freshman center Natalie Butler pulled down 15 rebounds for the Hoyas.

Butler’s next game will be on the road against DePaul Saturday.

DePaul comes into the game at second place in the Big East Conference. The Blue Demons have already beat Butler this season at Hinkle, 85-64.

DePaul was able to get the upper hand on Butler that game by controlling rebounds and crashing the boards.

DePaul is also able to hit 3-pointers on a regular basis. In the game against Butler, the Blue Demons shot 52 percent from 3-point range.

In order to get the road win, Butler will have to fight for rebounds. DePaul sophomore forward Megan Podkowa had nine rebounds in the first game against Butler.

DePaul senior forward Jasmine Penny leads her team in scoring, averaging 16 points per game.