Women’s basketball: Bulldogs move to sixth in conference with victory

BY BRENDAN KING | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler women’s basketball team picked up a key road win against Big East Conference rival Marquette (15-7, 6-5) Saturday by defeating the Golden Eagles 74-70.

It proved to be an important game for the Bulldogs (11-12, 6-6). With only six games left this season, they now sit in sixth position in the Big East standings and are looking to move up in the rankings before the Big East tournament starts March 8.

Despite being out-rebounded in the game 48-30, Butler was still able to pull out the win, thanks in part to key performances by junior guard Taylor Schippers and senior forward Daress McClung.

Schippers played 27 minutes and went 3-for-9 shooting, including two 3-point baskets. She also pulled down four rebounds.

McClung came off the bench in this game and took over. She played 29 minutes and scored 22 points. She also went 3-for-5 shooting beyond the arc.

Every Butler starter in the game recorded at least three rebounds. Butler converted 42 percent of both their field goals and 3-pointers. The Golden Eagles were held under 40 percent in both categories.

The leading scorer for Marquette was senior guard Katie Young. Young helped keep Marquette in the game with 21 points and four rebounds.

Butler will be in action next on Wednesday night when the Bulldogs hit the road to face Villanova. The team will look to avenge a 70-48 loss to the Wildcats at Hinkle Fieldhouse earlier this season.

Villanova also is trying to gain ground in the Big East standings, where they currently sit in fourth position.

Villanova’s leading scorer is senior guard Devon Kane. Kane is averaging 12 points per game, as well as three rebounds per contest.

The game will tip off at 7 p.m.