Men win, women drop third in a row

MITCH RIPORTELLA | Staff Reporter IMG_5737

The Butler men’s tennis team improved its record to 3-1 last weekend after picking up wins against Dayton and Valparaiso.

The Bulldogs kicked off their weekend Friday, squeaking by Dayton in a 4-3 nailbiter. The Bulldogs managed to shake off a rough start-—losing the doubles point and two of the first three singles matches— and rally back late.

Coming up big for the Bulldogs was sophomore Brandon Woods, who sparked a run for Butler with a back-and-forth 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 win in the No. 4 spot.

Junior Tommy Marx tied it up in the next match, defeating his opponent 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 5 spot, leaving the entire match to be decided by Butler’s lone freshman, Alex Woldmoe.

Playing in the No. 6 spot, Woldmoe was clutch for the Bulldogs, winning the final match of the day in a 6-4, 5-6, 6-5 thriller.

Butler carried momentum into Saturday, securing its third win of the season in a 5-2 victory over Valparaiso. The Bulldogs took the doubles point early and did not look back.

Picking up wins for the Bulldogs and going 2-0 on the weekend were Woods and Marx. Also getting a win for Butler was junior Pulok Bhattacharya, who earned a 6-3, 6-2 victory in the No. 1 spot.

The men will have a week to prepare for their next match on Saturday, facing off against the Bradley Braves. The Braves are 2-2, coming off a 4-0 loss against University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Butler outlasted the Braves in a 4-3 win at Bradley last February and hopes history will repeat itself Saturday.

The Butler women’s tennis continued its struggles Sunday as the team dropped another match at home against Detroit.

This loss extended the women’s losing skid to 3.

The Bulldogs will be busy soon as they are scheduled to play four matches in the next five days, starting off at home today against 1-4 Wright State.

Butler will play three days in a row starting Friday against the 1-3 Southeast Missouri State. The Redhawks have struggled so far this year, and have dropped their last three matches.

The women will continue the weekend at Indiana University to face off against the 3-1 Hoosiers.

Coming off a loss to No. 23 Notre Dame, the No. 39—ranked IU squad will arguably be Butler’s biggest test thus far.

The Bulldogs will finally end their week Sunday back at home against Illinois State.

The Redbirds are currently 1-2, coming off of a win against Saint Louis.