Bulldogs storm back from early deficit, beat Xavier

BRENDAN KING | Staff Reporter IMG_0506

The Butler women’s basketball team (12-14, 7-8) defeated the Xavier Musketeers (8-19, 3-12) at Hinkle Fieldhouse on Tuesday by a score of 57-52.

The game was close for most of the 40 minutes. Early in the first half, Xavier led 19-9. Butler quickly retaliated with a 14-0 run that helped bring them to a 30-30 tie at the end of the first half.

The game remained a back-and-forth affair throughout the second half. Sophomore guard Blaire Langlois’ three-pointer with under two minutes left put the Bulldogs ahead for good.

Butler junior center Liz Stratman helped the Bulldogs to the win and led her team in points and assists. Stratman finished with 19 points and four assists. Stratman also added nine rebounds and five key blocks that kept Xavier from taking the lead on numerous occasions.

Senior forward Daress McClung also added 16 points and a team-high 11 rebounds. McClung and Stratman made it difficult for Xavier to get points in the paint. As the Musketeers were forced to take fifteen three-pointers.

Junior guard Taylor Schippers and sophomore guard Blaire Langlois sank a combined seven out of eight free throws to finish the game for the Bulldogs. Schippers played 29 minutes off the bench and scored six points.

With the win, Butler has put itself in greater position to get a high seed in the Big East Conference Tournament.

Schippers said the number one goal for the rest of the season is to win the Big East Tournament, other goals go from there.

Butler’s last home game will be Saturday night when the Bulldogs face Seton Hall.