Women’s soccer team wins second straight, prepares for DePaul

The Butler women’s soccer team (9-4-2 overall, 2-3-0 Big East) picked up its ninth win of the season by defeating Providence (8-2-2, 2-1-1) 2-1 in overtime on Saturday. It was Butler’s second victory in Big East Conference play.

The Bulldogs will travel to DePaul Thursday for another Big East match.

The Blue Demons are coming off two consecutive shutouts from sophomore goalkeeper Alejandria Godinez.

DePaul’s leading scorer so far this season is sophomore forward Elise Wyatt with five goals, two of them game-winners.

Sophomore midfielder Sophie Maccagnone led Butler to victory against Providence, scoring a goal in the first minute of overtime.

The match saw back-and-forth play in the first ten minutes as both teams tried to figure out each other’s game style.

Providence was awarded a free kick after a foul in the 29th minute, but the shot sailed over the net.

One of Butler’s best chances of the half came in the 31st minute when the Bulldogs were awarded a corner kick, but they could not execute.

In the 35th minute, Butler was awarded a throw-in. The Bulldogs capitalized on this opportunity, as senior midfielder Mary Allen scored a header goal, giving Butler a 1-0 halftime lead.

Providence scored its first goal of the game in the 61st minute. Friars’ Sophomore forward Catherine Zimmerman broke away with speed and floated a shot right over Butler senior goalkeeper Julie Burton.

Butler had a scoring opportunity in the 88th minute but sailed a shot over the goal, sending the game to overtime.