Women’s soccer suffers consecutive losses

BRENDAN KING | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler women’s soccer team suffered its second and third losses of the season after visiting Villanova and Seton Hall last week. Villanova picked up the win by a score of 2-0.

The Villanova game was the first conference matchup for the Bulldogs in the Big East Conference.

Butler’s next three games are all conference games, against Georgetown, Xavier and Creighton.

In Thursday’s game against Villanova, the Wildcats played shutout defense, holding the Bulldogs to just three shots on goal in the game.

Villanova senior goalkeeper Jami Kranich saved three shots. Kranich improved her record on the year to 4-4-2, tallying her third shutout of the season.

The first Villanova goal was scored in the 37th minute off a shot from sophomore forward Christina Camassa.

Villanova scored again in the 52nd minute from junior midfielder Victoria Gersh.

The Seton Hall offense was too much for the Bulldogs to handle. The Pirates picked up the 3-1 victory.

Butler kept it close in the first half. Pirates senior forward Kaitlyn Ritter scored her fifth goal of the season in the 22nd minute.

Butler scored first on a goal from Elise Kotsakis in the 66th minute.

Seton Hall answered quickly, scoring in the 80th minute when senior midfielder Ashley Clarke scored to make the score 2-1.

Ritter buried the match with her second goal of the game. Seton Hall improved to 3-5-2 on the year.