Women’s soccer earns 1-0 overtime win against Creighton

BRENDAN KING | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler women’s soccer team won its 11th game of the season Saturday, beating the Creighton Bluejays 1-0 in overtime in a Big East Conference match.

Senior forward Katie Griswold found the back of the net in the fifth minute of overtime to give the Bulldogs (11-5-2, 4-4 Big East) the victory.

The play was started by junior defenseman Kelly Mahoney. Mahoney set up a cross to Griswold, who fired the ball from 18 yards out and past Creighton freshman goalkeeper Danielle Rice.

The Bulldogs were in control for most of the game, despite the close score.

They fired 17 shots at Rice, with nine of them on goal. Rice made eight saves for the Blue Jays (9-7-1, 2-5-1).

Creighton’s offense only produced one shot on goal, which Butler senior goalkeeper Julie Burton turned away en route to her seventh shutout this season.

The Bulldogs had opportunities to score in both the first and second halves, as they received four corner kicks in the game.

Butler has not lost a game when it has gone into overtime this season. The Bulldogs have beaten Bowling Green, St. John’s, Providence and now Creighton in overtime. They have tied twice—with Seattle and Eastern Michigan.

Burton improved her record to 10-3-2 to go with her seven shutouts. Burton has two shutouts in her last two games.

Butler’s final regular season game will be Nov. 2 at Marquette.

Marquette leads the Big East with a 14-3 record, incluing 7-0 in conference play.

Butler is in fourth place in the Big East after picking up the win Saturday.