Men’s soccer team splits two to open Big East road trip

The Butler men’s soccer team (9-3-1, 3-1 Big East) came out even on its Big East Conference road trip with a 3-2 overtime loss at Marquette (8-3-1, 4-0) and a 2-0 win at Seton Hall (4-6-2, 1-3).

Against Marquette on  Oct. 9, the match was scoreless going into halftime.

Coming out of the half, junior forward Zach Steinberger scored the first goal of the match in the 49th minute on a shot into the left corner of the net.

The lead didn’t last long for the Bulldogs.

Marquette sophomore defender Axel Sjoberg tied the match up at 1-1 later in the 49th minute on a header from the right side of the goalkeeper box.

Senior defender Eric Pothast gave the Golden Eagles the lead with a goal in the 51st minute of the match.

Butler freshman forward Vincent Mitchell tied the match in the 85th minute on a rebound goal to send the match into overtime.

The Bulldogs were unable to hold off Marquette’s attacking offense. Sophomore forward James Nortey put in the game-winning goal in the 105th minute of the match.

Marquette had 21 shots in the match, nine of which were on goal. Butler had 11 shots with four of them on goal.

At Seton Hall on Oct. 12, the Bulldogs led the charge with a goal by Mitchell in the 39th minute of the match. Steinberger added comfort for the Bulldogs with a goal in the 75th minute to put them up 2-0.

The Bulldogs will continue their road stretch as they take on No. 9 Georgetown Saturday at 1 p.m.