Bulldogs earn Homecoming win over Camels

The Butler football team has now won three straight games, coming off a Homecoming win against Campbell.

On Saturday. The 35-14 win brought the Bulldogs’ overall record to 5-2 and their Pioneer Football League record to 3-0.

Butler came out of the gates firing on all cylinders.

The Bulldogs scored 14 points in both the first and second quarters, while shutting out Campbell (1-5 overall, 0-3 PFL) in the first half.

Senior Quarterback Matt Lancaster and senior running back Trae Heeter led the way for the Bulldogs, each scoring two touchdowns.

Heeter ran for a game-high 134 yards on 21 carries.

Heeter currently leads the PFL in rushing with 763 yards and has more than a 150-yard cushion between himself and the second-best rusher.

Lancaster got it done with his arm and legs, passing for 231 yards and a touchdown while rushing for another 81 yards and a touchdown.

Lancaster’s favorite target on the day was senior wide receiver Brendan Shannon.

Shannon hauled in 10 passes for 166 yards. No other Bulldog caught more than two passes.

Butler’s defense was particularly stout, holding the Camels to 277 yards of total offense.

Campbell entered the contest averaging 305.8 rushing yards per game, second best behind Sam Houston State in NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision play.

The Bulldogs were able to keep the Campbell ground game in check, only allowing 184 rushing yards on the day.

The Bulldogs will host last year’s PFL co-champion Drake this Saturday.

As the Bulldogs wrap up their current three-game homestand, they look to put one more game between themselves and Drake (3-3, 2-1).

Butler is tied atop the PFL with last year’s other co-champion San Diego.

The Bulldogs will travel to California next week in what will be a pivotal game in the standings.

Not only are they playing for the conference crown this year, but for the first time, they are playing to represent the PFL in the FCS playoffs, as the champion now receives an automatic bid.

This Saturday’s battle of the Bulldogs will kick off at 1 p.m. at the Butler Bowl.