Maya Angelou visit postponed

Due to harsh weather conditions, Maya Angelou was not able to speak last night at Clowes Memorial Hall.

Angelou was scheduled to speak as part of Butler University’s Celebration of Diversity Distinguished Lecture Series.

The announcement came Monday afternoon after a storm dropped heavy snow on an area stretching from Colorado to the East coast.

Tickets will still be honored when the event is rescheduled in April.

Angelou’s visit will help celebrate the 25th anniversary of the diversity series, which began in 1988. She was the series’ first speaker.

The rescheduled date has not yet been determined, but Butler officials said it will be announced online and through the Butler Connection.

Angelou has many titles and occupations, including poet, author, actress and mother. Among her many titles, she has been called a global renaissance woman.

“It may have come from the fact that I’ve lived in different parts of the world and I speak a few languages and things like that,” Angelou said in an interview with The Collegian.

“I’ve done quite a few things in my 84 years.”

The event was completely sold out. Ticketholders who cannot attend the new lecture date, they are encouraged to send their tickets back to their original purchase site.

The returned tickets will be sold at 7:15 p.m. at Clowes the night of the event.