Men’s basketball: Travel brings new experiences

When Butler made the jump from the Horizon League to the Atlantic 10 conference it set itself up for a new schedule and new sights to see.

Experiencing new places is something the team looks forward to each road game, sophomore men’s basketball guard Alex Barlow said.

“All of the places we have been able to see are usually very historical and unique,” senior center Emerson Kampen said.

The team played Indiana University at Bankers Life Fieldhouse  on Dec. 15.

“Playing at Bankers Life was a pretty cool experience for me overall as a freshman in the Crossroads Classic,” freshman guard Kellen Dunham said. “Playing there reminded me of my Indiana All-Star days.”

The team enjoys the ability to see the history and cultures in cities of some of the other programs it plays.

“On some road trips we will see educational things, like when we stopped at Constitution Hall in Philly after playing St. Joe’s,” Barlow said.

During its trip to Philadelphia for its game against Saint Joseph’s, the team immersed itself in the city’s culture with Philly cheesesteaks and cannolis.

The night before every game, the team has a meal together out on the town.

Of all the places the team traveled to, Kampen said Maui was no doubt his favorite place to travel.

The team took part in the EA Sports video game tournament, went snorkeling and had a free day at the beach in Maui, Dunham said.

Although it may seem fun to take vacations from school, the players often miss class, and schoolwork can become hectic at times.

Kampen said it means, in addition to everything else, on the road, the men’s basketball players like to catch up on sleep or get caught up with their studies.