Students to walk for HOPE

Lambda Kappa Sigma is hosting its first annual Hope waLKS on Saturday morning to benefit its national philanthropy, Project HOPE.

Hope waLKS is a 5-kilometer walk around campus, and all proceeds go to Project HOPE.

“HOPE” is an acronym that stands for “Health Opportunities for People Everywhere.”

Project HOPE is a nonprofit organization that provides access of healthcare, medical supplies and immunizations to third-world countries that otherwise can’t afford them.

“Because Lambda Kappa Sigma is a professional pharmacy sorority, healthcare is very important to us,” said Emily Christenberry, the president of the Butler University chapter of Lambda Kappa Sigma. “This is a way for our chapter to give back to this cause.”

Taryn Kellams, the Lambda Kappa Sigma member heading the fundraiser, said that the event will be fairly short, with only a basic sign-in, a brief announcement on what Project HOPE is all about and the actual walking.

Brittany Schaefer, a member of Lambda Kappa Sigma planning on participating in the event, encourages everyone to come.

“It’s a 5k walk, so around 45 minutes of walking, which isn’t that bad,” she said. “It’s a small time commitment to support a good cause on a Saturday morning.”

Other Lambda Kappa Sigma chapters around the country have done walks before to fundraise for Project HOPE.

Christenberry said the Butler chapter had an easy time following in the footsteps of the other chapters and using their help and ideas to bring a walk to Butler.

“A lot of people at Butler get tired of shirt sales and things like that, and by seeing a large group of people walking on campus with the same T-shirt on, the walk itself is a way to promote awareness for Project HOPE on campus,” she said.

Anyone who wishes to participate can sign up at a table outside of Starbucks today from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

The cost is $15, and the price includes a T-shirt.

Registration will also be available the morning of the event, on Oct. 6 at 8 a.m. on the Atherton Union steps.

People who are not available on Saturday but who still want to support Project HOPE can do so online at www.projectHOPE.org

The fundraising page through the Lambda Kappa Sigma website shows the amount of money already raised and the overall goal. The page can be accessed at www.LKS.org by clicking on “Donate to Project HOPE.”