Men’s soccer: Bulldogs look forward to Ohio State

The Butler Men’s soccer team will begin a stretch of three consecutive matches in Ohio with a non-conference game at Ohio State tonight.

Since 1998, the Bulldogs and Buckeyes have played eight games with the Buckeyes leading the series with six wins and two losses against Butler. The two teams last met at Jesse Owens Stadium in Columbus, Ohio in a match on September 20, 2009.

The Bulldogs lost that game 2-1, breaking a four game win streak. But now three years later, the Bulldogs will travel once again to Columbus and head coach Paul Snape said feels good going in.

“Ohio State men’s soccer has a strong tradition of winning and they are better than their current record shows,” Snape said. “I expect it to be a physical game and a tactical battle. The boys are very excited to be playing at the famous Jesse Owens Stadium.”

After a loss and two ties, the Bulldogs finally grabbed a victory, rolling over Evansville 3-0. The win gave junior goalkeeper Jon Dawson his third shutout of the season and his second at home. Dawson said he is ready for the next step of this journey for the Bulldogs.

“We have really been clicking as a team and going to Columbus will be exactly what we need to continue our form this season,” Dawson said. “It’ll be a great game in a great environment.”

The younger players on this Bulldogs squad have seemed to step up under the leadership provided so far.

Freshman forward Jeff Atkins currently leads the Bulldogs with 6 points as the freshman has racked up two goals and two assists in the seven games he has played. Senior captain Jared Isenthal said he believes that this progress is moving the team in the right direction.

“After a great win last week, I believe this team is really coming together,” Isenthal said. “A strong week of preparation and practice has given us a good outlook forward as we go into playing a tough Big Ten opponent.”