Football marches to 4-0 in Pioneer Football League

The Butler football team hung on for a 17-14 win against the Marist Red Foxes for its fourth straight win, keeping their Pioneer League record unblemished.

The Bulldogs (5-2 overall) are 4-0 in the league for the first time since the 2009 season, in which they won the PFL championship. Marist fell to 2-4 overall and 1-2 in the conference.

Dual-threat quarterback Matt Lancaster again led the Bulldogs, completing 24 of 33 passes for 241 yards and one touchdown. He added 73 yards on the ground over 12 carries.

It was Lancaster’s sixth straight game without an interception. His only one of the season came in the first game of the year in a loss to Western Illinois.

Running back Trae Heeter racked up 112 yards and one touchdown on 25 carries. 

Wide receiver Brendan Shannon caught the lone touchdown pass from Lancaster, one of his 10 catches for 106 yards.

Jon Treloar kicked what turned out to be a decisive field goal to put the Bulldogs on top 17-14 with less than a minute remaining in the third quarter.

Lancaster lost a fumble on Marist’s 10 yard line half way through the fourth quarter, but Butler was able to stop the Red Foxes on their next drive and get the ball back.

The Bulldogs were able to burn the final 4:29 off the clock to hang on for the win.

Four Bulldogs finished with double digit tackles. Co-captain Jordan Ridley led the way with 12, followed by Jeremy Stephens with 11. Jayme Szafranski and Zach Sevidy each recorded 10 tackles.

The Bulldogs return to the Butler Bowl Saturday night at 6 o’clock for the Homecoming game against Morehead State.

The Eagles have won two straight against Butler, including last season’s 55-35 season finale in Morehead, Ky. 

In the previous meeting the Eagles snuck out of Indianapolis with a 21-20 win fueled by a last minute field goal.

Butler is tied atop the PFL standings with Jacksonville and Drake, who were both leading their contests late Saturday.