Maccagnone leads team to pair of victories

The Butler women’s soccer team defeated the Ball State Cardinals (3-3-2) 2-1 on the road after rallying from an early deficit.

The Bulldogs are now 2-2 when playing on the road.

The Bulldogs (6-3-1) were down the majority of the first half after an early goal by Ball State.

In the 44th minute freshman Sophia Maccagnone dribbled past two Cardinal defensemen before drilling a shot past the goalkeeper to tie the match.

Four minutes into the second half, senior Claire Milam tallied another goal for Butler.

Milam’s goal gave the Bulldogs the advantage they needed to put away the Cardinals.

The physical contest saw 35 fouls.

Last Friday, the Bulldogs pummeled the Eastern Illinois Panthers (2-6-0) 3-0 in their night match at the Butler Bowl.

The Bulldogs outshot the Panthers 27-4 in the one-sided contest.

Butler goalkeeper junior Julie Burton got her second start of the year and delivered a clean sheet.  Burton recorded one save in the victory.

A foul in the box set up Maccagnone to break the scoreless tie. Maccagnone buried a penalty kick into the back of the net, giving the Bulldogs the 1-0 lead.

Maccagnone stretched the Bulldog lead to 2-0 in the 80th minute after scoring her second goal of the match.

The Bulldogs held a 7-1 advantage in corner kicks.

In the waning moments of the game, junior Olivia Colosimo delivered a corner kick to junior Ali Backscheider, who gave Butler its final goal.

Maccagnone leads the team with five goals, including three in her last two matches.

She was named the Atlantic-10 Rookie of the Week.