Women’s soccer splits weekend matches

The Butler women’s soccer team looked to continue its winning streak with two non-conference games last weekend.

The Bulldogs (2-2) had their first away match against Eastern Michigan (1-1-1) that ended in a 1-0 loss.

“Our first away game was especially difficult because EMU has a grass field. It definitely threw off the pace of our play and it took a lot of adaptions on our part,” freshman forward Addison Schaar said.

Both teams had a scoreless first half, despite combining for a total of 15 shots in the first half.

The Eagle’s freshman forward Sarah Deakin scored the only goal of the match in the 65th minute.

“We’re using this loss as motivation to come out and beat Purdue this Wednesday, as well as giving us something to improve on during training,” said Schaar.

Three players scored their first goal of the season for the Bulldogs (2-2), propelling them to a 3-0 win over the Sycamores (1-2) last Friday.

With eight minutes remaining in the first half, Butler tallied its first goal, a long-distance strike by freshman midfielder Sophia Maccagnone.

The second half, much like the first, was dominated by physical play. The two squads combined for 24 fouls in the match.

“Going into the game we knew how the game was going to be so we just went right back at them with being physical,” sophomore forward Stephanie Kaylor said.

In the 57th minute, a well-placed corner kick by Kaylor was deposited in the back of the net off the head of sophomore defenseman Kelly Mahoney, giving the Bulldogs a 2-0 advantage.

Photo by Jaclyn McConnell

“I know that if I put the ball in a certain spot just beyond the keeper, one of my teammates will put it in the back of the net,” Kaylor said.

Moments later sophomore forward Elise Kotsakis delivered on a penalty kick, putting the game out of Indiana State’s reach.

The Sycamores were unable to record a shot attempt in the second half.

Butler will continue its non-conference schedule with a match at Purdue tonight starting at 7 p.m.