Women’s soccer falls to Louisville in season-opener

With memories of the team’s 1-0 double overtime loss to Louisville possibly sitting in the minds of some Butler women’s soccer players, the Bulldogs looked to avenge the defeat in tonight’s rematch.

The Cardinals (1-0) proved to be too strong for the Bulldogs (0-1) to handle, however, as Louisville made its way to a 2-0 victory. The match was the season-opener for both teams.

In a game dominated by physicality, a finesse performance by Louisville sophomore forward Casey Whitfield in the 53rd minute led to the game-winning tally.

Just moments after beating multiple Butler defenders–only to have a shot turned away by Butler junior goalkeeper Julie Burton–Whitfield threaded the ball through several of the same Bulldogs and beat Burton with a shot.

In the 84th minute, junior midfielder Angelika Uremovich put the icing on the cake for the Cardinals by firing a shot over the outstretch arms of Burton off a free kick.

Sophomore forward Elise Kotsakis recorded five shots for the Bulldogs, and freshman midfielder Sophia Maccagnone added three11 more. Butler was outshot 11-10 by Louisville.

The match also saw 16 fouls and three yellow cards between the squads.

Butler will stay at home and prepare for Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne. The two teams will square off in the Butler Bowl Sunday at 2 pm.