Volleyball starts season 2-1 at DePaul

The DePaul Invitational ended on a strong note for the Butler volleyball team, which defeated the host school in comeback fashion to complete a two-win weekend.

The Bulldogs (2-1) finished with a 2-1 record in the four-team event. Eastern Illinois posted the same record in the tournament.

Butler’s season-opening match saw Indiana State pull out a 3-1 victory on Friday.

The first set was close, with the Sycamores (1-2) squeaking out a 25-23 victory. However, the Bulldogs fought back to win the second set by a score of 25-17.

Butler fell into a 9-2 hole early in the third set and could not rally, losing 25-20. The roles were reversed in the fourth set, with the Bulldogs holding a 15-8 lead, only to fall 25-21.

Leading Butler was junior middle back Maggie Harbison with 13 kills and junior setter Morgan Peterson with seven blocks. The Bulldogs also received contributions from sophomore libero Jadyn Yarling, who had eleven digs.

Butler grabbed its first win of the season by sweeping Eastern Illinois Saturday afternoon.

The Bulldogs opened the match with a 25-19 first-set victory over the Panthers (2-1).

In the second set, Eastern Illinois was in position to nab a victory on five separate occasions, only to be thwarted by Butler each time.

The Bulldogs eventually found themselves up 25-24 with a set point of their own, but were unable to capitalize. The teams then traded points until Butler was finally able to put the set away, winning 32-30.

In the third set, the Bulldogs made quick work of the Panthers, grabbing a 25-17 win and a match sweep.

Sophomore outside hitter Belle Obert led the Bulldogs with a double-double, consisting of 12 kills and 11 digs. Peterson scored 15 digs, and junior middle back Claire Randich tallied seven blocks.

In the final match of the weekend, Butler started off on the right foot against the Blue Demons (1-2), winning the first set 25-17.

DePaul rallied to take the next two sets, pushing the Bulldogs into a must-win situation.

Butler came roaring back in the fourth set, which was highlighted by an eight-point streak for the Bulldogs.

After some back-and-forth play to open the fifth and final set, the Bulldogs recorded three straight points off an ace and two kills and went on to win the set 15-10.

Obert closed the event with her second double-double in three matches, tallying 16 kills and 10 digs against the Blue Demons.

The Bulldogs also received key contributions from Harbison, who had 10 kills and 17 digs.

Peterson was named the Most Valuable Player and earned a spot on the All-Tournament Team with Obert and sophomore middle back Erica Stahl.

The Bulldogs will be in Pittsburgh this weekend for the Pittsburgh Panther Invitational.