Track and field: Team strong in West Lafayette

The Butler track and field team had another strong showing, this time at the Mike Poehlein Invitational last weekend.

Despite most of the team staying in Indianapolis, some Bulldogs were able to record strong performances.

Freshman Nicole Hudec surpassed Jen Connor’s 14-year old triple jump record of 34-5 1/2 with a leap of 35-0 ¼. The leap gave her a fifth-place finish.

In the distance events, junior Kaitlyn Love placed fourth in the 800-meter run (2:13.24) and third in the 1500-meter run (4:41.04).

Junior Shelbi Burnett made her way to a third-place finish in the women’s steeplechase with a time of 11:08.71. Freshman Mara Olson finished one place behind Burnett with a time of 11:22.66.

Junior Craig Jordan led the men in the steeplechase, posting a race-winning time of 9:20.94. Freshmen Codi Mullins and junior Kevin Oblinger finished third (9:30.45) and fifth (9:35.85) in the race, respectively.

Sophomore Mick Wang and freshman Kelly Davidson just missed top-five finishes in sprint events.

Wang took sixth place in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.28, and Davidson nabbed sixth place in the 100-meter dash, clocking a time of 12.85.

Butler will send Olson and sophomore Ross Clarke out to California for the two-day Stanford Invitational this weekend.

The majority of the Bulldogs will be in Oxford, Ohio, for the Miami of Ohio Invitational Saturday.