Track and field: Team led by distance quartet

The Butler track and field team was once again led by the distance squad—this time at Indiana State’s Pacesetter Invitational in Terre Haute last weekend.

The team posted nearly a dozen top-five finishes in various distance events at the four-team meet, including four first-place showings.

Freshman Tom Curr won the men’s 800-meter run, completing the race in a time of 1:50.57 and breaking the event’s nine-year-old meet record.

Also setting a meet record was sophomore Craig Jordan, whose time of 8:58.84 in the steeplechase was good for a victory and broke a one-year-old best time.

The Bulldogs’ other two first-place finishes came from senior Rebecca Howarth in the women’s 5000-meter run (17:23.72) and junior Shelbi Burnett in the women’s steeplechase (10:47.92).

Burnett followed her steeplechase performance with a third-place finish in the 1500-meter run and was also named the Horizon League Women’s Track Athlete of the Week for April 9 through April 15.

Junior Alyson Fosnot took fifth place in the women’s 5-kilometer run with a time of 17:54.52, and Kevin Oblinger finished third in the men’s steeplechase in 9:19.54.

In the women’s 800-meter run, junior Kirsty Legg took second place, and fellow junior Kaitlyn Love nabbed fifth place.

Redshirt freshman Harry Ellis was the fifth-place finisher in the men’s 1500-meter run with a time of 3:57.73.

In the sprints, freshman Nicole Hudec took fifth place in the 100-meter dash, recording a time of 12.83.

The team will compete next at the Mt. Sac relays in Walnut, Calif., and at the Polytan Invitational in Bloomington this weekend.