Track and field: Team grabs three individual titles

The Butler track and field team sent competitors to the Miami Invitational and Stanford Invitational over the weekend.

At the Miami Invitational, which was hosted by Miami of Ohio in Oxford, Ohio, Butler grabbed three individual titles, as well as a handful of top-10 finishes.

On the women’s side, junior Kirsty Legg won the 1500-meter run in a time of 4:27.63.

Legg defeated Miami of Ohio redshirt senior Kelley Miller by six-hundredths of a second. Juniors Kaitlyn Love and Shelbi Burnett finished in sixth and seventh place, respectively, in the same event for the Bulldogs.

Legg also took fifth place in the women’s 800-meter run with a time of 2:12.85.

Rounding out the distance events for the women, senior Rebecca Howarth grabbed third place in the women’s 5000-meter run, posting a time of 17:27.26.

For the sprinters, Butler’s 4×100-meter relay team of sophomore Maddie Cassidy and freshmen Nicole Hudec, Kelly Davidson and Bria Booker came in ninth place with a time of 50.03.

Hudec also finished in fifth place in the triple jump with a leap of 35-5 3/4, breaking her own school record yet again.

Led by freshman Tom Curr and senior Madison Roeder, Butler’s men also came home with a few top-10 finishes.

Curr won the men’s 1500-meter run in a time of 3:47.46 and was followed closely by Butler alumnus Kris Gauson (second in 3:49.02) and Butler assistant coach Andrew Sherman (third in 3:50.65). Redshirt sophomore Craig Jordan took fifth place in the event.

Roeder recorded a first-place finish in the men’s 5000-meter run, topping a field of 34 other athletes and clocking a time of 14:34.92.

Sophomore Mick Wang took 10th place in the 110-meter high hurdles and sixth place in the high jump.

The men’s squad finished sixth of 14 teams and the women took eighth place out of 18 teams.

Sophomore Ross Clarke and freshman Mara Olson traveled to California for the Stanford Invitational Friday.

Olson finished in 14th place in the 1500-meter run, clocking a time of 4:40.94.

Clarke competed in the 5000-meteer run, but he was unable to finish the event.

Butler will visit Terre Haute for the Pacesetter Invitational Saturday.