Track and field: Hudec, Cathey lead team at meets

The Butler track and field team competed in two meets in two different states last weekend and recorded two new school records and multiple strong finishes.

Photo courtesy of Dustin Livesay

Two Butler records fell at Indiana University’s Polytan Invitational.

Freshman Nicole Hudec broke her own school record in the triple jump again with a leap of 35-10—good for fifth place.

Hudec then teamed with sophomore Maddie Cassidy and freshmen Kelly Davidson and Bria Booker in the 400-meter relay. The quartet’s time of 50.30 was good for a new school record and fifth place overall.

Hudec also took fifth place in the women’s long jump while freshman Kodi Mullins clocked a fifth-place time of 9:16.84 in the men’s steeplechase.

At the Mount Sac Relays in Walnut, Calif., the Bulldogs’ distance team had another impressive showing, this time led by assistant coach Mason Cathey.

Cathey finished runner-up in the women’s invitational elite steeplechase, and her time of 9:48.67 was the fastest by an American woman this year.

In the women’s 1500-meter run, junior Kirsty Legg clocked a time of 4:21.32 to finish fourth in her section and 12th of 124 finishers.

Freshman Mara Olson’s time of 4:32.43 was good for ninth place in her section, and junior Kaitlyn Love’s time of 4:32.43 gave her a 14th-place finish in her section.

On the men’s side, freshman Tom Curr posted an eighth-place overall finish in the 1500-meter run, finishing in a time of 3:45.98.

Sophomore Ross Clarke placed sixth in his section of the event, clocking a time of 3:50.13.

The team will compete at home Friday in the Stan Lyons Invitational.