Professional basketball: Reggie Miller headed to Hall of Fame

Former Indiana Pacers shooting guard Reggie Miller was announced as a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball  Hall of Fame’s 2012 class Monday.

Miller, who played the entirety of his 18-year NBA career with the Pacers, will be one of 12 players, coaches and referees inducted on Sept. 7.

Photo courtesy of MCT

The five-time All-Star played more games with a single NBA team than all but two players in league history before retiring in 2005.

“I hope what people remember is that I had the chance to play 18 years with one organization,” Miller said in an interview with The Washington Post. “If anything, I hope people understand that you can be just as successful in a small market as you can in New York or L.A. or Chicago.

“I wouldn’t trade those 18 years for anything.”

Miller ended his playing career as the league leader in 3-point baskets made. His mark of 2,560 was surpassed by Ray Allen of the Boston Celtics in Feb. 2011.

In 1995, Miller became the first Indiana Pacer to start an All-Star game.

He was a member of the gold medal-winning United States men’s basketball team in 1996 as well.

In his interview with The Washington Post, Miller said that he would not rule out a return to Indianapolis as the president of the Pacers.

Other members of the 2012 induction class include: coach Don Nelson; players Ralph Sampson, Jamaal Wilkes, Chet Walker and Don Barksdale; two-time Olympic gold medalists Katrina McClain and Lydija Alexeeva; American Basketball Association star Mel Daniels; Nike co-founder Phil Knight; referee Hank Nichols; and the All-American Red Heads, which was the female equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters.