Men’s tennis: Team drops three straight

The Butler men’s tennis team fell to Detroit 4-3 in a Horizon League match Saturday.

Photo by Marcy Thornsberry

Freshmen Austin Woldmoe and Tommy Marx collected victories in singles action for the Bulldogs (3-14, 2-1).

Woldmoe defeated Detroit senior Nick Tolomei 6-1, 6-0 at No. 1 singles and Marx grabbed a 0-6, 6-4, 6-2 victory against Detroit junior Alex Latosinsky at No. 2 singles.

While the Bulldogs won the doubles point by taking two of the three matches, the Titans (6-11, 1-2) won the other four singles matches to get past Butler.

In a non-conference match later that day, Butler fell 4-3 to Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.

Last season, the Jaguars (8-13) beat the Bulldogs for the first time in the program’s history.

With the victory Saturday, IUPUI defeated Butler in two consecutive matches for the first time ever.

The outcome of the match against the Jaguars was similar to that of the match against Detroit.

The Bulldogs took the doubles point again, managing to win all three matches this time around.

For the second time that day, however, Butler was held to two singles victories.

Last Thursday the Bulldogs left Ball State with a 6-1 loss to the Cardinals (14-7).

Butler will travel to Wright State Saturday looking for its third win in league play.