Women’s basketball: Team victorious on Senior Day

It was a freshman who led the Butler women’s basketball team to a win on Saturday’s Senior Day, but senior guards Devin Brierly and Kaley May were still in the spotlight.

Freshman guard Hannah Douglas had a season-high 31 points in the effort as the Bulldogs (13-16, 9-9) defeated Wright State 81-66.

Douglas was 12-for-20 shooting on the day, including four 3-point baskets.

Still, the day was really about the two Butler seniors, who participated in their final regular season game.

Photo by Reid Bruner

“We really just wanted today to be special for Devin and Kaley,” coach Beth Couture said.

May scored the first and last baskets of the game for Butler on her way to a career-high eight points.

“It was definitely an emotional day, being the last game on Hinkle’s floor,” May said. “[The first basket] got the team excited, and it was just a good moment for the entire team.”

Brierly had a solid afternoon as well, adding 14 points, seven assists and five rebounds.

The Bulldogs, following the ejection of Wright State coach Mike Bradbury after receiving his second technical foul and throwing his suit jacket into the crowd, led 35-30 at halftime.

“That could have been a big momentum shift, but we’ve handled a lot of adversity this season,” May said. “Coach just calmed us down, and we came together as a team like we have all season.”

Butler kept its composure in the second half, even as the Raiders (19-11, 12-6) kept the game close.

Leading 69-62 with just over four minutes left to play, the Bulldogs went on a 12-4 run, which was capped by a 3-pointer from May.

“I couldn’t have scripted it any better in my mind,” May said. “It was kind of like a storybook ending for me.”

The win followed a 57-52 loss to Detroit in Hinkle Fieldhouse last Thursday.

The Bulldogs were led by freshman forward Haley Howard, who scored a career-high 23 points.

Sophomore guard Jenna Cobb added 11 points, seven rebounds and four steals.

Butler begins Horizon League tournament play tonight against Illinois-Chicago in quarterfinal round of the tournament.

The Bulldogs earned the No. 5 seed, while the Flames (17-12, 10-8) hold the No. 4 seed.