Softball: Runs still at a premium for softball in losses

The Butler softball team continued to struggle, picking up only one win in a seven-game, six-day stretch.

Last night, the Bulldogs (6-20, 1-2) took Eastern Illinois into extra innings in the first game of a doubleheader.

Butler capitalized on an error by the Panthers (13-13) in the top of the ninth to grab a 1-0 lead.

In the bottom half of the frame, the Bulldogs allowed a game-winning, two-run single and fell 2-1.

The result of the second game was not available at press time.

The Bulldogs started Horizon League play over the weekend, winning one of three games against Youngstown State.

Butler snapped its 12-game losing streak by rallying from a 4-2 deficit and recording a 5-4 win against the Penguins (16-6-1, 2-1-0).

A two-out, run-scoring single from senior catcher Mallory Winters in the seventh inning put the Bulldogs over the Penguins.

Senior pitcher Breanna Fisher picked up the win for Butler, allowing two hits and striking out five in three innings of work.

Butler dropped the next two games to the Penguins.

In the second game the Bulldogs started with a 5-1 lead but couldn’t hold off Youngstown State, eventually losing the game 6-5 through 10 innings.

The Bulldogs dropped a 4-1 decision in the final game of the three-game series.

Last week, the Bulldogs dropped two more games at home to Miami of Ohio.

The Redhawks (17-11) won the first game by a 5-1 score. They took a one-run lead in the fourth inning and added three more runs in the top of the fifth inning.

Senior first baseman Erin Falkenberry got her first home run of the season, accounting for the Bulldogs’ only run of the day.

In the second game, two Miami pitchers combined to toss a shutout. The Redhawks finished the game in five innings, winning 9-0.

Butler will take on Michigan State tomorrow before hosting a three-game series against Loyola of Chicago this weekend.

Photo by Reid Bruner