Swimming: Personal bests set in conference meet

The Butler swim team finished its season last weekend, placing eighth at the Horizon League Swimming and Diving Championships in Brown Deer, Wisc.

The Bulldogs finished at the bottom of the pack, 13 points behind the seventh-place Valparaiso Crusaders. Butler scored 124 points in the meet, held from Wednesday to Saturday.

Wisconsin-Milwaukee won the event with 759.5 points. Cleveland State and Green Bay finished in second and third, respectively.

While the score may not have reflected it, the Bulldogs were breaking personal and season-best times throughout the event.

The week began with both of Butler’s 200 relay teams setting season-bests.

The 200 freestyle relay team of sophomores Lauren Lambrecht and Kaitie Ring and freshmen Hannah Somerville and Lauren Scotti came in at 1:40.48.

The 200 medley team of Ring, Lambrecht, Scotti and sophomore Rosalie Fidanze beat its previous mark by .78 seconds, clocking in at 1:51.89.

On Thursday the 400 medley relay team highlighted the day by breaking its season-best by more than eight seconds.

The team, which consisted of Somerville, Fidanze, Lambrecht and freshman Eshan Pua, placed seventh, ahead of Valparaiso, with a time of 4:03.29.

Scotti also had a season-best showing in the 50 freestyle with a time of 25.15.

Scotti said she was surprised with herself and “pleased with my performance.”

Four other Bulldogs posted season-best performances in the same event.

On Friday, Lambrecht became the only Bulldog to advance to the finals of an event.

She captured 14th place in the 100 butterfly with a time of 59.85.

Rounding out the night was a season-best performance from the 800 freestyle relay team.

Scotti, Pua, sophomore Kathleen Brannen and freshman Caitlin Weichelt clocked in at 8:06.40.

Scotti said the meet’s result was a little disappointing, but that there was a lot to take away and a lot to look forward to.

Of the team’s 16 athletes, 14 of them are either a freshman or sophomore, and the only two upperclassmen on the team are juniors.