Spring Sing and fun in the sun

Photo by Taylor Cox

Butler students will raise their voices and whip out their swimsuits for this year’s beach-themed Spring Sing fundraiser.

The two music fraternities on campus, the women’s fraternity Sigma Alpha Iota and the men’s fraternity Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, organize this yearly event.

Junior French horn major and member of Sigma Alpha Iota Abbey Springer is the Chair of Spring Sing and has been organizing the fundraiser since November.

According to Springer, the teams are comprised of members from all of the housing units on campus, including Greek houses.

Each team will create their own dances and rewrite the lyrics of songs to fit the beach theme of the event.

They will perform in front of Irene Stevens, dean of student life, and associate professors Catherine Pangan and Frank Felice.

Springer said the criteria for judging is stage presence, relation to the theme, music selection, and originality.

While the fundraiser is a fun event that all students and faculty can enjoy, it has a philanthropic cause.

The proceeds from the event will be donated to VH1 Save the Music.

VH1 Save the Music is an organization that raises money for underprivileged schools to help them implement strong music education systems.

The organization reaches out to schools and help kids get involved and passionate about music.

In addition to the $5 ticket charge, there will also be a donation bin at the event to raise more money.

Tickets will go on sale this week in Starbucks.

Springer said she is hopeful that this year’s attendance will be larger than last year.

Due to the men’s basketball team’s success and journey to the Final Four, many students didn’t attend the event last year, and the fundraiser actually lost money.

Springer said the goal is to sell as many of the 400 available tickets as possible and increase involvement among independent students.

“I think people see Spring Sing as a mainly Greek event, and I really wish I could change that,” Springer said.

While Greek members make up the majority of the audience and teams, Springer said that the event is something all Butler students and faculty can enjoy.

Brittany Hansen, a sophomore  education major,  is the captain for the Spring Sing team consisting of Alpha Phi, Delta Tau Delta and Phi Kappa Psi, and she said they are planning to practice every day this week.

“It was a little difficult getting started and getting everyone from each house to communicate,” Hansen said. “But, I really think it’s coming together for Friday.”

Freshman psychology major and member of Delta Gamma Danielle Markowitz said she is excited about participating.

Delta Gamma is paired with Lambda Chi Alpha for the event and practices have given her the opportunity to meet people and make new friends.

“It’s so much easier getting to know someone when you have to sing and dance and just break out of your comfort zone,” Markowitz said.

Spring Sing is at 8:30 p.m. on Friday at Clowes Memorial Hall.