FOOTBALL: Butler fares well in all-conference selections

When the Pioneer Football League office announced its all-conference selections, Butler was well-represented on the list.

The Bulldogs were represented on the PFL first team by senior wide receiver Zach Watkins and senior offensive lineman Pete Mattingly as well as junior linebacker Jordan Ridley.

Watkins made the first team for the first time in his career after finishing second in the league in both receiving yards with 1,044, and receptions with 80—both Butler records.

Mattingly made first team for the first time as well after coming off an honorable mention season just one year ago.

Ridley made the PFL first team for the second straight year and led the league in tackles for a second consecutive year in the process.

Representing the Bulldogs on the PFL second team were sophomore running back Trae Heeter, senior linebacker Nick Caldicott and senior defensive back Andy Dauch.

Eight others were also able to gain honorable mention for Butler.

Senior quarterback Andrew Huck and senior kicker David Lang earned the honor for a second time, while sophomore tight end Matt Jenson, junior offensive lineman Matt Storey, sophomore offensive lineman Jay Howard, senior defensive end Grant Hunter, redshirt sophomore defensive back Sean Grady and senior return specialist/wide receiver Jordan Koopman were also honored.

The PFL also released its all-academic squads for the year, and Butler had eight representatives on the team.

To be nominated for the all-academic squads, a player must have been a starter or an important reserve with at least a 3.00 cumulative grade point average for his career.

Huck, Lang and senior punter Michael Wilson were all placed on the first team for a second straight year.

Ridley and sophomore defensive back Jayme Szafranski made the second team along with Mattingly, Storey and Hunter.

51 students were honored on the 2011 all-PFL team.