Fantasy football: Time for the playoffs

Through sweat, tears and watching countless hours of football, the time has finally come for the much-anticipated fantasy football playoffs.

Luckily I was able to make the playoffs in all three of my leagues. Hopefully at least one of these teams will pull through and win me a year of bragging rights over my league mates.

Here are some things that you can do to best prepare your team for success in the playoffs.

Listen to absolutely no one other than yourself when making decisions on whom to sit and whom to start.

At this time of the year, you have to make your own decisions, otherwise the blame for your loss will be attributed to someone else.

Trust your gut instincts, whether that is to ride your mid-season waiver wire pickup or to sit your first-round draft pick.

Do not let the advice of so-called experts play into your decision making for such a crucial decision at a critical time.

With that being said, I will provide some random and potentially beneficial food for thought in the form of statistics.

Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson rushed for 153 yards on Sunday. This was Johnson’s third 100-yard rushing performance in his last four games. CJ also had two scores for the first time since Week 5 in 2010.

Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow is 5-0 in his last five games, with four of those wins coming on the road. During that stretch, Tebow has yet to throw an interception.

Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch has totaled 456 rushing yards, 79 receiving yards and five touchdowns in his last four games.

Top overall pick and Carolina Panthers rookie quarterback Cam Newton wrote his name in the history books on Sunday. Newton now has the most rushing touchdowns by a QB in a single season with 13. Interestingly enough, Newton also leads all players this year in rushing touchdowns.

Entering Sunday, San Francisco kicker David Akers led all kickers in total points. On Sunday, he kicked four more field goals, all four of which occurred inside 36 yards.

New England Patriots running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis has 156 carries so far this season. Miami Dolphins running back Reggie Bush has 155.

There are seven tight ends in the top 20 receivers for total receptions: Jimmy Graham (New Orleans Saints), Tony Gonzalez (Atlanta Falcons), Rob Gronkowski (Patriots), Jason Witten (Dallas Cowboys), Fred Davis (Washington Redskins), Brandon Pettigrew (Detroit Lions) and Kellen Winslow (Tampa Bay Buccaneers).
Graham is second in the league in receptions behind Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker. Gronkowski has the most receiving touchdowns in the league with 13.

Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson is second in the league in both receiving yards and receiving touchdowns.

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Greg Little and Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green are tied for most receptions by a rookie with 50.

Of those quarterbacks who have thrown at least 400 passes, only four have fewer than 10 interceptions: Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay Packers), Colt McCoy (Browns), Joe Flacco (Baltimore Ravens), and Tony Romo (Cowboys).

The Indianapolis Colts give up the most points per game (29.8), while the San Francisco 49ers give up the fewest (13.4).