ART NOW showcases student work

Illustration by Maria Porter

Long hours of memorizing facts can make any brain feel overworked and ready to revolt.

The art + design program has one solution for eyes that cannot look at numbers and facts any longer.

ART NOW, premiering tonight, is a student art show featuring a myriad of works by more than 100 participating Butler University students.

“It’s a showcase of student artwork on campus, encompassing lots of different approaches, media and points of view,” said Gautam Rao, associate professor of art. “The show is always current, fresh, urgent and new.”

ART NOW will feature many types of art from wearable design and interactive artwork to sculpture and collage.

It’s open to any artist or artwork regardless of college or major, Rao said.

Works from students taking design classes in the College of Communication will also be in the show, he said. In addition, each art + design major—and some minors—will have their own personal showcase.

One of these students is senior  art + design and strategic communication major Laura Kramer, the current art + design program intern.

“ART NOW is a terrific way for students to share what they have been working on with the rest of Butler’s campus,” Kramer said. “There’s always a great variety of works shown, and the students here are really talented. The art program has grown tremendously even since my freshman year here, and I’m looking forward to its growth.”

ART NOW
WHAT: A myriad of sculptures, paintings, collages and more from your artistically-prone peers.
WHEN: Wednesday, Dec. 7, 4-7 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 8, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
WHERE: Atherton Union Reilly Room