Swimming: Bulldogs take second at IUPUI

The Butler swim team continued its red hot start this season with a second place finish at the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis Natatorium Friday night.

The three-team meet saw the Bulldogs competing against Centre College and IUPUI. Butler took care of Centre College to place second in the contest.

“Everyone is contributing to the team’s early success and improvements,” coach Maurice Stewart said. “Getting our third win of the season is pretty exciting.”

Sophomore Lauren Lambrecht took home victories in the 100 butterfly and the 200 individual medley, posting season-best times in each event.

Freshman Caitlin Weichelt took second in the 1,000 freestyle with a time of 10:57.91, putting her in fourth on Butler’s all-time list in the event.

The 200 medley relay, consisting of Lambrecht, sophomore Kaitie Ring and freshmen Hannah Somerville and Lauren Scotti, turned in a season-best time of 1:52.67—good enough for second.

Scotti and Ring built off the Bulldogs’ success in the first few events, with both swimmers recording strong finishes in the 100 backstroke.

“I had really good under waters and a good tempo, which is good to see at the beginning of the season,” Ring said.

Scotti completed the event in 1:01.99, good enough for third place. Ring finished right behind her in fourth with a time of 1:03.32, a season-best.

Weichelt and Somerville then recorded a second-third finish in the 100 breastroke, with Weichelt finishing in 1:12.19 and Somerville touching in 1:20.20.

The Bulldogs extended their lead over Centre with good performances from freshman Eshan Pua and sophomore Lauren Need in the 200 butterfly.

The Butler sprinters rounded out a solid night with solid showings. Freshman Elizabeth Grogan posted season-best times in both the 50 freestyle and the 100 freestyle, while Scotti placed third in the 50 freestyle with a time of 25.31

“We knew Centre was going to be really tough to beat,” Ring said. “But the team got pumped up and we pulled it off.”

The Bulldogs hit the water next at the House of Champions Meet, also at the IUPUI Natatorium, on Friday, Nov. 11 and Saturday, Nov. 12.