Women’s golf: Bulldogs take sixth in Indy

The Butler women’s golf team bounced back from a tough first day to take sixth in The Preview at the Hawthorns Golf and Country Club on Tuesday.

Senior Michele Nash carried the team, finishing tied for fifth place out of nearly 100 players after shooting a two-over-par 74 in the first round. Her two-day score was 151.

“Michele played well again,” coach Bill Mattingly said. “She’s had a great fall thus far.”

For the Bulldogs, freshman Isabella Lambert tied for 18th place with a two-day score of 156.

Fellow freshman Jenna Peters tied for 29th with scores of 83 in the first round and 77 in the second for a total of 160.

Photo by Rachel Anderson

Junior Julia Porter was the fourth-best Bulldog with a two-day score of 164, good enough to tie her for 49th.

Senior Clare Cornelius rounded out the top five for Butler by tying for 61st with a two-day score of 167.

Sophomore Ali Restaino finished tied with Cornelius for 61st, and junior Alexandra Arends finished 82nd. Both were playing as non-scorers.

Toledo took home the team title by defeating Akron on the first playoff hole.

The Bulldogs had won three consecutive tournaments prior to The Preview. They opened the tournament with a team score of 318, tying them for eighth place.

They came back strong on the second day and carded a team score of 311, moving them into sixth place in the final standings.

“We have one more tournament this fall,” Mattingly said. “We can learn from mistakes this time and play better next time.”

The Bulldogs will be on the course next on Oct. 24 and 25 at the Memphis Invitational.