Swimming: Dawgs stop EIU

The Butler swim team continued its hot start with a win over Eastern Illinois last Friday.

The Bulldogs took care of the Panthers by a score of 110-96, recording their second win in as many meets this season.

Led by sophomore Lauren Lambrecht, who took home victories in the 200 individual medley and the 100 butterfly, Butler saw many young swimmers get a taste of what’s to come.

Freshmen Lauren Scotti, Hannah Somerville and Caitlin Weichelt finished first in the 100 backstroke, 50 freestyle and 100 freestyle, respectively.

Sophomore Rosalie Fidanze took second in the 100 yard breaststroke after swimming the breaststroke leg of the 200 medley relay, in which the Bulldogs took second.

Sophomore Kaitie Ring, who swam backstroke on that same relay, said she is excited about the team’s potential this season.

“We’re a really young team,” Ring said. “These first two meets have been great, especially since practices have been tough. The fact that we’re swimming so well right now is encouraging to see.”

Ring, who finished 14th at the Horizon League Championship meet in the 100 backstroke last season, could be a cornerstone of Butler’s team this year.

“I feel great,” she said. “I’ve been working harder in the weight room, and I feel faster than I was at this point last season.”

Fellow sophomore Kathleen Brannen will also be a key part of any success for the Bulldogs.

Brannen, a distance specialist, won the 1,650 freestyle against EIU and took second in the 500 freestyle.

“We’ve been training really hard, and I think it’s showing in these first two meets,” Brannen said. “We have to keep the hard work up, and it will pay off.”

The Bulldogs will next hit the pool against Indiana-Purdue Indianapolis and Centre at the IUPUI  Natatorium Oct. 28.