Music faculty take the stage

Many students enroll in the music department of the Jordan College of Fine Arts to hone their skills and learn to perform.  This semester, their professors are striving to do the same.

The Faculty Artist Series is one way the music school encourages faculty to remain professionally active.

The series of recitals, which take place on Tuesday evenings throughout the semester, is meant to advance the level of musical scholarship and professionalism at Butler University.

“These performances help students realize the expertise we have on the faculty, while increasing their knowledge of important works of solo and chamber music,” said Dan Bolin, music department chair.

Bolin said the recitals serve to demonstrate to the Butler and professional communities “the high level of artistry that exists among the various faculty members who perform in these recitals.”

This semester the performances have included Matt Pivec and Jon Crabiel, playing classic and modern jazz arrangements on saxophone and percussion, respectively; David Murray, showing the virtuosity of the double bass; and Doug Spaniol, performing the world premiere of a new piece for solo bassoon.

The upcoming recitals are just as exciting.

On Nov. 8, the Steve Allee Trio will perform.  This professional jazz trio has released multiple CDs and performs locally.  They will be the music department’s guests and will perform jazz for the Butler community.

On Nov. 15, faculty pianist Kate Boyd will perform with guest violinist Sarah Plum.  Boyd is an active performer in the Midwest and New York and is an advocate of new music.

The final event in November will feature faculty harpsichordist Thomas Gerber.  Gerber performs with many local groups and serves on the faculties of Butler and Marian universities, as well as the University of Indianapolis.  His passion for the harpsichord, a seldom-heard instrument with deep historical roots, is palpable in his performances.

On Dec. 6, Pivec returns for another evening of jazz on campus.

All members of the Butler community and friends of the university are welcome to attend the recitals, which usually are about an hour long.  The performances are free, and no ticket is required.

The events are held in the Eidson-Duckwall Recital Hall at 7:30 p.m. on select Tuesday evenings.

Fall 2011 Faculty Artist Series Line Up

• 10/4: David Murray, contrabass, 7:30 p.m.
  • 10/11: Doug Spaniol, bassoon, 7:30 p.m.
  • 11/8: Special Guest, Steve Allee Trio, 7:30 p.m.
  • 11/15: Kate Boyd, piano, and Sarah Plum, violin, 7:30 p.m.
  • 11/29: Thomas Gerber, harpsichord, 7:30 p.m.